In a country of 170 million ,where sexual assault is described as ‘endemic’, The Nigeria police department as been able to record 717 rape cases in five months, during the few months to e issue of rape as been a rampant case in the society.
However inNigeria, where a majority of cases of sexual violence go unreported, social media has brought the issue into the open.A majority of cases of sexual violence in Nigeria go unreported. This is due largely to fear on the part of the victim of being socially stigmatized or blamed. Ms. Ajie estimates that at least 2 million Nigerian girls experience sexual abuse annually and that only 28 per cent of rape cases are reported. Of those, only 12 per cent result in convictions.
Elsie Reed, founder of Delta Women, an organization that aims to empower and fight for the rights of women in Delta State, estimates that 80 per cent of Nigerian women have experienced some form of sexual harassment.
According to the UN Women campaign against gender-based violence, Africa Unite, anywhere between 13 per cent and 45 per cent of women in sub-Saharan Africa experience assault by an “intimate partner during their lifetime.”
Africa Unite also reports that in Uganda, for example, an astonishing 59 per cent of women between the ages of 15 and 49 “have experienced physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence in their lifetime.”
But Nigeria take it to the street to protest about rape issues to create awareness for young individual who are sexually harassed ,There was a recent case of rape which lead out the government to take act on several rape/sexual molestation in Nigeria,The case was a case of a 22 year old girl who raped and bashed by the fire extinguisher in church
JusticeForUwa has been one of the hashtags trending on social media in the last week after Vera Uwaila Omosuwa, a 22-year-old student, died two days after she was reportedly raped in a church in the southern city of Benin.
"Children are dying, women are dying, enough is enough," Dorothy Njemanze, one of the protest organisers, was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.
Njemanze said she and other campaigners were "watching every step of everything they [politicians] say and do on sexual based violence".
Nigeria's most senior policeman has ordered the immediate deployment of additional investigators to specialist gender violence desks, a police statement said on Tuesday.
"This is to strengthen and enhance the capacity of the units to respond to increasing challenges of sexual assaults and domestic/gender-based violence linked with the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic and other social ills within the country," it added.
Tough place to convict a rapist
In Nigeria, it is not uncommon for rape to go unreported.
Some victims and their families, fearing stigmatisation, police extortion and a lack of trust in the judicial process, choose not to report cases to the authorities.
There have also been instances where those brave enough to report are targeted with derogatory comments at the police station.
Sexual offences in Nigeria 2017. [ 2,279 reported cases of rape and indecent assault ],[ 1,164 reported cases of "unnatural offences" (ie anal sex) ],[ 0 convictions reported by police ],[ 1 state (out of 36) reported no cases of indecent assault ], Source: Source: Nigeria Bureau of Statistics, Image: A man strangling a woman - stock image
"They are either vilified for their dressing, being at the wrong place at the wrong time or accused of making up claims of rape," said Ms Ebe, who is now a social worker and runs a charity helping street children, people with disabilities and survivors of sexual abuse.
She often talks about her experiences in order to help other rape survivors. She says victims often find brick walls at the hospitals, police stations and courts where they are supposed to get justice.
"The penalty for rape in Nigeria is up to 14 years in prison, but I have seen a judge sentence someone to just four years, with two years suspended, because he was young and had a life in front of him," she said.
"What about the victim whose life he adversely affected?"
Police accused of raping women
In 2019 in the capital Abuja, some women who were arrested during a police raid accused officers of raping them.
They said the police accused them of being sex workers and while they were at the police station, they were repeatedly raped by officers.
The police denied the accusations and the matter is currently in court.
Image captionTina, 16, was shot by a policeman in Lagos
"Such incidents don't reassure victims that the police station is where they can get help," their representative, Dorothy Njemanze, told the BBC.
No one knows exactly how many rapes take place in the West African state annually. The official Nigeria Bureau of Statistics said more than 2,200 cases of rape and indecent assault were reported in 2017.
But experts say the true number of rapes is likely to be much higher.
"We get at least six people coming in for cases of domestic violence per week," Ms Njemanze said. "During the coronavirus lockdown, we started receiving four to seven cases per day and 70% of them were related to rape."F
New laws not implemented
The results of a survey published by NOIPolls in July 2019 suggested that up to one in every three girls living in Nigeria could have experienced at least one form of sexual assault by the time they reach 25.
Recent laws have broadened the scope under which sexual offences can be penalised in Nigeria, making it easier to try suspects.
"Before now the part of the Nigerian constitution that deals with rape was in the criminal code and meant that cases had to be tried within two months or they would be statute barred [ineligible to be heard in a court], but that is no longer the case," Stephanie Ekpebulu, from a coalition of lawyers that does pro bono work with rape victims, told the BBC.
Simi replies a follower who asked her to sack her make-up artist Delectable Nigerian musician, Simi has responded to a follower on Instagram who suggested that her make-up artist needs to be sacked for doing a bad job on her face. Simi performed at the German Embassy in Nigeria and, as a result of the physical exertion, she began sweating. Her sweat soiled her make-up, giving her face different shades. A follower reacted to it, saying; “Your makeup artist suppose get sack letter.” The singer was obviously in a good mood today, as she subtly replied the instagram user with an ‘lol’, unlike the Simi who’s always ready to fire back at any attack. “ lol you idiot. Person no dey sweat for stage again?” Simi replied. See the post below; Related Gist : 1: Watch some interesting episodes on past that bbn 2019
ILE AYE Take a look and listen to the official song (ILE AYE ) produced by sonex one of the official and trending songs in town now. The official song ILE AYE 👇by samlex ft wonder thunder audio is set to be released soon for download >>>>>>>> The official audio for download will be out soon. RECOMMENDED SONGS FOR YOU Teni – Billionaire Tekno – Skeletun Larry Gaaga Ft. Vector – Decide Kizz Daniel – Pak N Go Zlatan – Yeye Boyfriend Victor AD – Too Much Money Slimcase – Furoonaire Zoro Ft. MI Abaga & Vector – One On One (Remix) Chinko Ekun – Mafo Ycee Ft. Davido – Baseline Mr Gidi – Holy Ghost Fia Download Here Reekado Banks – Rora Watch Here . CHECK OUT THESE HOT MIXTAPES DJ Maff – Joro Mix DJ Vibez – Gidi Vybz Mix DJ Matt – The Joyful Geezuz...
Transfer News: Chelsea Enter The Race To Sign Mauro Icardi By Raghavendra Goudar on May 25, 2020 10:03 am | Leave a Comment Chelsea have entered the race to sign Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi, as loan club PSG haggle over the transfer fees with the Nerazzurri . As reported by the Daily Mail , Chelsea have joined the race to sign Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi, who is on loan at French champions Paris Saint-Germain. Icardi fell out of favour at Inter Milan during the second half of the 2018-19 campaign and, as a result, was loaned out to PSG last summer, with an option to make the transfer permanent for a fee of £62 million. The 27-year-old has enjoyed a fine campaign with Les Parisiens, grabbing 20 goals and 4 assists in 31 appearances across all competitions, playing a key role in PSG’s Ligue 1 title triumph in what was a curtailed season in France due to the coronavirus. ...
YAHOO-YAHOO BOYS’’ CAN BE USEFUL TO US, SAYS EFCC BOSS, MAGU By: Coc_blog_official October 18, 2019 Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr Ibrahim Magu, hasb said that the agency is planning to rehabilitate young people engaged in Internet fraud popularly known as ‘Yahoo Yahoo’ in Nigeria because they could be useful to the agency in future. Magu stated this in Lagos on Thursday while delivering a paper at the third All Administrators National Conference of the Chartered Institute of Administration, according to a report by PUNCH. While speaking on collaboration between the EFCC and other nations, Magu said the agency had secured collaboration with ECOWAS member-states to aid in prosecution of cross-border crimes. He said, “So if you carry money from Nigeria and escape to Ghana, we will just call the men in Ghana and say, ‘arrange this man and keep him for me. “This is what the ‘Yahoo-Yahoo boys’ like ...
Cocblog studios KANNYWOOD: Why I stopped kissing, hugging in Nigerian films – Ali Nuhu May 23, 2020 Mohammed Lere Ali Nuhu Related News Ali Nuhu celebrates 20 years in Kannywood I still act in Nollywood – Ali Nuhu Top Kannywood celebrities and their social media use I want popular actress, Fati Washa, as my wife – Kannywood actor Kannywood: Ali Nuhu launches first Kannywood video on demand site Kannywood actor, Ali Nuhu , has given reasons why he stopped kissing and hugging in Nigerian movies. In an interview with BBC Hausa on Thursday, Mr Nuhu said he stopped kissing and hugging in films because Islam forbids that. “I come from the North, and I’m a Muslim. My culture and religion does not allow for that, so I stopped acting in scenes like that. People talk about it all over but I personally think it out as an ambassador of my culture and religion. and stopped,” he said. Nuhu has acted in many movies in Nollywood and was the first Kannywo...
14 key points in PTF COVID-19 briefing on ease of lockdown Boss Mustapha Key sidelines as issued by #PTFCOVID19. Guidelines to be implemented/ enforced by State Governments Nationwide curfew remains in place, timing now 10pm—4am. Full opening of financial sector – normal working hours Restricted opening of places of worship, (regular church & mosque services ONLY), to be based on State Govt protocols. Interstate travel remains prohibited except for goods &essential travel Gathering of 20 persons remains prohibited; outside of workplaces + religious services Aviation Industry requested to start developing protocols for domestic flights to possibly resume from June 21 9. Hotels may reopen Restaurants outside of hotels must remain closed for eat-in—TAKEOUT ONLY Bars, gyms, cinemas, nightclubs, parks closed until further evaluation All schools to remain closed until further evaluation Offices maintain 2m physical distancing + 75% max capacity All p...
The popular Baba Rasheed addressing the media *Yoo*!!🗣🗣 I'm TEEPO (A.K.A Baba Rasheed ,The Father of Rasheed, the man that is Rasheed's father). Ok, the name my father gave me is Tega,Teepo is just a mix of my name & my cousin's (rasheed) whose real name is Dipo. I make comedy skits with my cousin (although not all) . My inspiration is mainly gotten from a review of the African (Nigeria in particular)society👨👩👧👦. I try to entertain🍿 people with familiar situations/ scenes📹 that take place in the society BUT with my own flavour of heightened reactions😨. Not to bore 😴you with my life & work ,just check out my Instagram page 🥺@ _.teepo and kindly hit the follow button🙏🏽 (it doesn't bite) 👹 Every like means a lot . THANK YOU.
He actually broke my nose' - Giggs names his toughest opponent ANDREW STEEL 16 hours ago MANCHESTER UNITED INTERNAZIONALE WALES The former Red Devils favourite has opened up on who the hardest adversary he faced in his career is, as well as the best teammates he played with Article continues below Ryan Giggs has proclaimed Inter stalwart Javier Zanetti as the toughest opponent he has ever faced across his footballing career, with the Manchester United legend citing the defender breaking his nose in the pair's 1999 Champions League quarter-final encounter as a key reason behind his choice. Wales boss Giggs and now-Nerazzurri vice-president Zanetti only faced each other four times across their career - a decade apart in a pair of European two-legged knockout encounters - but the latter left a lasting impression on the former Red Devils favourite when they first met during United'...
Cocblog Wizkid Trashes Burna Boy As He Throws Weight Behind Davido In Ongoing Feud BY GABS MAY 28, 2020 2 MINS READ Advertisement Wizkid has surprisingly (we are surprised because of the age-long beef between Davido and Wizkid , albeit it has been squashed ‘partially’) thrown his weight behind Davido over his recent spat with Burna Boy . Wizkid has, therefore, urged his team, Wizkid FC to support Davido despite while referring to Burna Boy as Odogwu. Starboy reacted for the first time after Davido shared snippet of his upcoming video for his new song #ABT. Wizkid responded to Davido ‘s tweet saying: “Osheyyyy baddest #ABT�� some people go do small thing, them go rush give themselves odogwu�� if you want to know about #30BG call OBO� #Wizkidfc gat your back bro��” The feud started after Davido ...
Comments
Post a Comment